Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 37: Testing the Waters

Today we finally have weather warm enough to consider kayaking as a team.  If we had been prepared, Gracie and I might have actually hit the water today.  However, weather forecasts being generally unreliable and the weather being generally cold, I had put off the actual pulling out of the kayak from beneath and deck and getting the rack on the car and the kayak on the rack.  This is probably a good thing anyway because Gracie trusts me--well, not without reservation but enough to go along with me after a brief show of skepticism on her part--undoubtedly, healthy and justified skepticism.

Gracie poses in her life jacket, Creamsicle orange
like her Hearing Dog vest!
After I pulled out the kayak--blue plastic from L.L.Bean, light-weight so I can get it on and off the car without help--I put it in the yard to try out.  I got in and coaxed Gracie to get in with me.  Then we sat there for a bit while I scratched her behind the ears.  Hopefully, this sent the message that sitting in the kayak with me is a pleasant thing to do.  Then we got out--Gracie first.  So far so good.  We got the life jackets (I have one for Gracie too).  Would we fit with the life jackets on, making us both even pudgier than we are without them?  We did!  Could Gracie spring out with the life jacket on in the same way she sprang out without the life jacket on?  She did.  Will this beautiful weather last at least until tomorrow noon?  We have our finger's (and furry toes) crossed that it will.  Everything is in and on the car, and we're ready to go.  Tomorrow, we will report on how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment