Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 18: Responding to a Friend

I once got to read notes--though I suspect I wasn't supposed to--on an interview I had had for a full-time position at a community college and read that I "talk too much."  At first I found this perplexing.  After all, wasn't the interview process about my answering questions about myself that the hiring committee had asked?  As I thought about this some more, however, I decided that I am more comfortable talking than listening.  I often can't understand what others are saying, particularly in a group situation like an interview by committee when I am not certain who is speaking until well after the person has started speaking.  I even have trouble locating the speaker, much less understanding what that person is saying before I can watch her or him talk.  (I am a self-taught lip reader and am rather proud of that.)  When I talk, I am controlling the situation so that I don't have to listen.   Because I talk too much, I might write too much as well.  I am also guilty of both thinking and talking in sentences...not the favored mode of the current times in which we live.  I probably read too much too. 

I include all this as a prelude to an appropriately brief e-mail I just received from a college friend: "I read your entire blog. what fun!  I never knew there was a hearing dog."  To this, I replied the undoubtedly inappropriately long message that follows:

You and a lot of others, Reza! To work as a service animal, Gracie needs to be with me as much as possible. (I did put her in her crate for a short time so I could run today. Her paws are sore, and I needed exercise!) Otherwise, she follows me around the house, sleeps by me, and goes into stores and restaurants with me. But sometimes a waiter or a clerk will be uncertain about letting us in. (I have documents, including "the law" about service animals that the International Hearing Dog, Inc. folks left with me that  I carry with me for just this reason). Sometimes other diners or customers frown and shake their heads about a dog being in wherever with me.  Sometimes they point at us and laugh.  Once a man said, "I left MY dog at home."   I suppose if I were a veteran with missing limbs in a wheel chair with a larger dog--a Golden or a Shepard--no one would question me. I would hope not. Maybe Gracie and I will pave the way for someone less equipped to joust with negativity or a sense of being mocked. I certainly hope so.  At home, though, there is no issue, and Gracie is a delightful, adorable dog!


I really have awful hearing and now that I'm almost old (lol), it's getting worse. I can't really quit working just because I can't hear students as well as I wish I could (even with my digital hearing aides)--and hopefully the law won't let the college get rid of me for that reason either. so on I plunge.  I think having Gracie with me at school will get the point across to both students and colleagues that I just don't hear like most other people--and not because I'm not paying attention.  I tell students that I have hearing issues at the beginning of the semester, but I guess they forget.  Having Gracie with me should help them remember.  She will also help me know my cell phone is ringing or the alarm clock is going off in the morning and may even save my life one day should the smoke alarm at home or the fire alarm at school go off.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the blog. I plan to blog on until Gracie and I achieve the coveted orange leash and collar...a sign that we are officially a "trained team"...sometime at the end of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment