Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 11: Oops!

I planned a couple bike errands today and expected Gracie to be excited to go biking again.  Instead, she clearly expressed a desire NOT to bike.  She is very agreeable and eager to do what I want, however, so a little gentle coaxing got her in the bike trailer.  I fastened her in with her seat belt harness--nicely padded; then I noticed she was shaking.  Was she scared of biking?  I took a moment to scratch behind her ears, telling her all the time that it was okay.  Meanwhile, I tried to think about what the problem might be.

Flash backward to the last time we went biking together: cue thoughtful music and clouds drifting across a blue sky.  The clouds gather and darken; the music changes.  I had planned to ride down and around Lake Harriet, but as we were leaving the driveway, a few drops fell.  Instead of going too far from home, I just rode around the neighborhood.  But I rode fast, probably to ease the frustration I felt at not being able to follow through on the plan to circle the lake.

Maybe Gracie didn't like riding so fast.  Maybe biking fast had frightened her.  I decided that today we would ride slowly.  My primary goal is making sure that Gracie likes doing the things we do together, that she is glad to go places.  Yesterday, she had a good time at the garden store.  She also seems to really like riding in the car and jumps enthusiastically into the back seat.  I want her to like biking as much as I do.  I'd much rather ride a bike to do errands than go in the car. 

I think my strategy worked!  We rode slowly.  We stopped frequently for a water break (using the collapsible bowl).  By the time we got back home, Gracie liked biking again.  I guess I will be riding more slowly now, but I don't mind.  I really had a better time too.
Gracie in her car/bike harness on her pillow in the bike trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment