Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 31: Grooming too

A shoe to make Frankenstein jealous
Yesterday when we were out walking, a man and his large dog ran by.  Gracie became excited, not by the dog but by the running.  She urged me to run too.  How do you tell a dog "wrong shoes"?  If I ran very far in shoes other than my orthopedic running shoes, I could kiss my knees and hips good-bye.  "She looks bored," my older son said later in the day when he came over.  Not bored--disappointed.  I vowed we would run together again the next day.

That day is now today.  We woke up to the sound of rain on leaves.  By the time we were heading outside for a potty break, the rain was a mere drizzle.  By ten o'clock, all systems were go: overcast sky, some puddles, no actual rain anymore, just a few drops being shaken from the trees by the wind.  We suited up and off we went.  If work wasn't being done all along 44th Street and if I hadn't had a hair appoitment at 11:15 a.m., we could have run a lot further...and will next time.

In desperate need of FURmination!
Later, at The Chair on 39th and Bryant where I get my hair cut, Gracie did an excellent impression of a lap robe while Heidi the excellent sylist worked on beautifying me.  "She's sure mellow," Heidi commented.  And she was indeed...until Heidi turned on the hair dryer.  I've dried my hair with her right there at home, but, as I told Heidi, I don't spend much time at that due to impatience rather than any sort of hair philosophy.  Maybe it was the sound of the blower--a sound inaudible to me--that bothered Gracie.  Whatever it was, she got a seldom seen look of annoyance in her eyes and began to tremble.  This didn't last long, though, as Heidi had taken off a lot of hair.  In fact, one might conclude from the look of the little piles hair surrounding the chair that I had been FURminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment