Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 17: temperature plummets-ahh!

Today is thirty degrees cooler than yesterday. Amazing and wonderful and perfect for hitting the road on the bike for errands.

Right before Gracie arrived, a friend who is also auditorily challenged (hard of hearing, hearing impaired, partially deaf--is there a good way to say it?) told me that her husband thought she should wear a yellow vest with "Deaf Biker" written on the back when she rode her bike. Minneapolis has a great system of bike trails and, like me, she likes to both ride her bike for fun and to run errands. When she's out, though, she says she doesn't hear other bikers ride up behind her. I have the same problem. A couple years ago, we both got mirrors on our bikes so we could see what was happening behind us quickly and without turning around. She pointed out that some bike really fast and seem to appear out of nowhere.  She thinks they might say, "On your left," or something like that, but, if they do, she does not hear them

I have a similar problem when I go running. As I run down the street, I don't always hear cars coming up behind me until they are right on top of me. Motorists seem to assume that people on foot will get out of their way, and I would if I knew they were there.

The new hybrid cars are especially quiet. The more I thought about my friend's idea, the more I liked it. Only "Deaf Biker" seemed to me to be too specific. I wanted something I could wear running and cross-country skiing and...well, maybe everywhere! I started to search the Web to see what was out there and found this. It's all purpose. Of course, I don't like the word "impaired." On the other hand, I do like being able to relax and admit that I can't hear like most people assume other people can hear. I am not deaf. I do hear some things. In some situations, I hear pretty well (or feel like I do). In other situations, I am clueless. Now, it's not just me on the bike, either; Gracie is there too.

So I sent away for the vest. It's really pretty awesome. If someone put it on me, I think I would be angry. Putting it on myself makes me feel a little safer.




Now I just have to get used to it like Gracie has gotten used to riding in the bike trailer.






Look out! Here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment