Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 88: Gracie meets the English Department

Gracie got very nervous this morning as I went through my admittedly frenetic routine of packing to go to the Century campus.  Though I only leave her in her box a couple times a week while I go to Body Flow (a combination of tai chi, palliates, and yoga) at the YMCA, she seemed to think this morning that I was not taking her with me.  So finally, I put her vest on to let her know that she was definitely going with me.  I could hardly restrain her on the way to the car due to her extreme excitement and enthusiasm. 

We got to the campus around 10 a.m. and parked in the west campus faculty lot.  I thought a short walk on the Wood Duck Trail behind the campus would do us both good, but when we got to the entrance to the walkway, I could see that it was flooded, very flooded.  Apparently, the rain yesterday was torrential in White Bear Lake too.  We turned and started to walk around the building, which is a great deal smaller than the east campus building.  But we didn't get too far there either.  The walkway was blocked by signs reading "Wet Cement" and the ground bordering the wet cement was wet mud.  Not to be deterred, we took a quick trip around the parking lot.  Once inside, we visited the student services area to introduce Gracie before heading up the stairs to my office on the third floor.  Though I share the office, there was no sign of my office mates today.  Plenty of others were around though, and, of course, everyone wanted to pet Gracie.  I tried to discourage this, but Gracie was being very encouraging, batting her big browns.  Every time someone said her name, Gracie wagged her tail enthusiastically...giving them more encouragement.  Eventually, we staked out a corner of the office for her bathmat/rug, and I poured her a bowl of water.  Then I found a place on the shelf for a box of "office dog biscuits."  As I took one out for Gracie, I could almost hear Martha from IHDI warning me: "Not too many now.  She'll get fat!"  Another thing Gracie and I share is a love of cookies: ginger for me and Milkbone for her.  We're both a bit plump because of this, I'm afraid.  The bathmat was not quite as comfortable as the couch at home, but Gracie was a trooper and tried her best to stay on it and not wander.  I will probably bring the extra leash I have to fasten her to the desk in the classrooms where I'll be teaching.  Hopefully, she will just watch me the way she now watches me mow the lawn.  She seems to know when she's been fastened somewhere and does not struggle with that.

All too soon, it was time for the department meeting.  There is quite a lot of upheaval on the campus for a number of reasons that relate to the general societal upheaval of the moment.  Gracie's presence was definitely something pleasant to focus on.  Everyone seems to have a dog or love dogs and, of course, showed Gracie a lot of affection.  I usually dislike these department meetings.  The department is big and hearing everyone and following what is being said in the large crowded room where we have to meet is difficult for me and very tiring.  Today, though, having Gracie at my feet was relaxing.  After the meeting broke up, I did not have my usual stiff neck and headache.  Back in my office to pack up, I couldn't resist giving Gracie just one more "good girl" cookie.  I think Martha would understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment