Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 87: A Day of Rest

Today was a beautiful day that culminated in a torrential rainfall.  As much as we enjoyed venturing out yesterday, Gracie and I enjoyed staying home today.  I'm not entirely sure where the day went.  I do know I mowed the front yard while Gracie watched me from a shadey spot a safe distance away.  Mowing with a push mower like we do is very relaxing.  I have tried to convince people that the push mower is not harder to push than a power mower as they insist that it is.  Furthermore, it doesn't use gas.  It doesn't make a hideous nose--like a thousand whining bees--the way the neighbor's power mower does either.  We are currently wedged between that mowing fanatic who likes to mow with his whining bee mower at least twice a week and "the working couple" who have a lawn service along with their other "must haves": two kids, a big show-quality (and therefore high strung) dog, built-in lawn sprinklers that go off even while it is raining, and an air-conditioning unit large enough to house a family of five.  Their lawn service sends one fellow who rides a mower, another who mans a blower, and a third who power edges and power trims.  The resulting bees don't whine; they roar in a very angry way for reasons I will leave you to imagine.  I can't decide which of the two is worse.  I never mow when those folks are out and about if I can help it.  But today, whining bees was at work--I think--and the lawn crew didn't show up until I was thankfully done and the old push mower was back in the garage.  Now the dark is settling in, and the rain has softened to a mere pit-a-pat.  Tomorrow, Gracie and I go back to the campus for more meetings and settling in.  Meanwhile...say goodnight, Gracie.

No comments:

Post a Comment