Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 2: Venturing Out

Tuesday, May 24

In some ways, I feel that Gracie has always been here.  She is so calm and so accommodating to  whatever I am doing.  Because of all this, I boldly went to Target with her this afternoon, hoping to get her a seatbelt designed for dogs--a harness affair that will double for bike rides and maybe even boating. I knew that Petco had what I was looking for; however, Petco is like a dog park in that they allow every dog to come in.  Martha told me NOT to go there with Gracie--like taking the Queen to McDonalds or maybe like taking the Dali Lama to a prize fight. So, instead, we went to Target.

Gracie wore her service dog vest and was the model of civility, from the car ride to the check out line.  I, however, was a basket case.  Of course, we drew attention, which made me surprisingly self-conscious.  I was prepared to be confronted and planned to show my service dog credentials which I'd thoughtfully brought along.  No one stopped us or asked any questions or even tried to pet Gracie, who looked very businesslike and professional.  Target didn't have any seatbelts for dogs.  I could have gotten other things there--like something for our recycling stuff--but I couldn't think.  I guess I need more training and more practice.  I'm lucky Gracie is as patient as she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment