Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 9: Reflections

Tuesday, May 31

I woke up today with two resolves: to keep Gracie used to at least a little bit of time in her crate (her safe place where she is definitely off duty) and to spend some time each day with her in a high traffic area with a lot of strangers.  Being home alone with Gracie is so easy.  She gets her exercise chasing a tennis ball or practicing her skills.  She also likes to nap on the couch while I am on the computer.  However, getting too comfortable being here by ourselves is not a good idea.  I need to exercise regularly, and, eventually, we will be going together to Century College where I teach English composition.  Century is a community college with lots of activity, lots of people coming and going.  She'll be with me when I teach class and when I hold my office hours at least three days a week Fall Semester.

After we finished our morning routine--potty breaks before and after eating--Gracie went into her crate with a Milkbone treat while I went for a twenty minute run around the neighborhood.  When I got back, she was glad to see me and eager to go for a walk.  Eventually, when her paws get a little tougher, she can run with me.  I call it running, but I'm not really very fast.  I'm sure Gracie could outrun me!  Soon we'll try going together to the YMCA exercise class I had been attending three times a week before she arrived.

Later on today, we went back to Target to get laundry detergent.  Before we left, I had planned to get a Target gift certificate and a "thank-you" card for the Century student who was an in-class tutor for me last year.  But I am still nervous when in the store with Gracie and forgot. (I should have made a list and next time, I will.)  Gracie behaved perfectly in the store, but I was nervous.  Now I realize that the practice in public every day is for me!  I need to work on being more comfortable and get over feeling like I've brought a dog into a place where a dog doesn't belong.  The store people know it and Gracie knows it.  The problem is me.  Thank goodness I have three months and the desire and willingness to work on this.  I know the pay off will be big for me and for others who navigate the world with a service animal.  We'll get the gift certificate and card tomorrow!

After growling at Bruce for a couple days, Gracie has now accepted him even though I've told him that he can't cuddle or play with her...just an occasional pat.  This picture was just too cute to not include.  Does she feel a solidarity with him for putting up with me?  Maybe.

Gracie and Bruce


No comments:

Post a Comment