Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 5: Mow Learning

Friday, May 27

Gracie is with me all the time--well, almost all the time.  Today I thought I would mow the front yard while Gracie watched me.  I tethered her to ground, told her to wait, and got the push mower out of the garage.  All was good until people began appearing: a woman walking past on the sidewalk, two workmen coming down the driveway across the street, the mailman crossing the lawn to put mail in our slot.  Gracie--usually so quiet and calm--barked each time.  Oh, no! I thought, this will never do.  We can't have barking at school.

Of course "school" is three months away.  But still....  I sat down with her to figure out what the problem was (and, of course, do a little petting).  I remembered reading that I should keep my hearing dog's leash on for the first several days.  I could attach the leash to a belt if need be.  So in we went and found a belt.  I also put Gracie's Hearing Dog vest on her.  Gracie went up and down with me mowing the yard and not barking at anyone anymore.  This was good exercise for both of us.

Gracie is definitely a different dog when wearing her orange vest--a professional.  She also loves riding in car too and is always up for that.  So this afternoon, just as the rain began, we went to Trader Joe's in the car.  Decked out in her vest, Gracie walked the aisles like a queen and then waited patiently in the bagging area.  Though lots of Labor Day shoppers filled the store, Gracie didn't bark at anyone. 
Dog tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment