Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 65: Knowing You the Way I Do...

One of the most comforting aspects to life with Gracie for me is the growing realization that communication of a profound nature is possible without speech.  Through eyes, hands, paws, wagging tails, and the sense that we know what's coming next we have already built trust that I now cannot imagine living without.  Because of my brand of hearing loss, following spoken conversation is a tremendous amount of very tiring work.  Having companionship that doesn't require that work is truly a gift.  Being constantly with the dog is a required to achieve that level of understanding--to create that bond.  Thank you to whomever made it possible for service animals to go everywhere: stores, restaurants, buses, airplanes, trains, baseball games, movies...everywhere.  And, of course, thank you to IHDI for pairing me with amazing Gracie.

No comments:

Post a Comment