Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 40: Too hot!

Chilling in the air conditioning
Yesterday for Gracie's birthday, we went to an Italian film that promised romance and surprise.  Foreign films are among my favorite because they have subtitles, first cousins of closed captioning.  Both Gracie and I liked being in the theater because only a small portion of our house is air conditioned and it was in the nineties yesterday.  Apparently we are among the small minority who go to foreign films in the afternoon in the middle of the week.  There were so few people in the blessedly cool theater that Gracie, the birthday girl, got a seat of her own.  This worked well until, late in the film, she rolled over, and the seat closed on her.  For the rest of the film, she sat in my lap.

...for a dog's eye view of life
Today, it's too hot again...currently the temperature is 97 degrees and the heat index is 108.  I'm not a fan of hot weather, especially hot, humid weather.  This is clearly something else excessively furry Gracie and I share.  The pavement alone is hot enough to cook an egg.  So, for now, we are laying low in our little air conditioned corner catching up on our reading.  For those in the same frame of mind looking for a book to read, I recommend Paul Auster's dog story: Timbuktu.  It's a little sad; most dog stories are.  But it is delightfully detailed and honest.  Auster must have been channeling dog when he wrote it.  Although one might assume the dog's name to be Timbuktu, his name is Mr. Bones (a tribute to John Berryman?  Perhaps!)

2 comments:

  1. I love going to indie films in the afternoons - especially hot or wet afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your term better, MoGolf..."foreign" even as applied to film has a politically incorrect ring to it. I will change my language. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete